- Start your application mail with the correct form of address. If you are not sure how the person is called or what academic titles they have please check their web pages.
- Send documents which show your recent academic achievements.
- Include the time period in which you plan to accomplish your work. This means the earliest starting date and the finalization date.
- Describe your skills and capabilities (e.g. Hardware, Programming Languages, Software, ...)
- Explain why you are interested in a certain topic. (No, a single interest in machine learning is like being interested in breathing.)
- Make suggestions for potential topics, titles, research questions. This holds specially when you are applying for Masterthesis or Forschungspraxis
- Explain what you want to work with or what you do not want to work with.
- Inform yourself about the research interests of the person you are writing to in order to address the right topics.
- If possible show some evidence that you have all required skills for an offered topic.