Again, there was heaps that broke again last week or stuff that just was broken all along. Apart from the good old nullreference exception that we seem to get for every single light hearted change to base classes without generally checking the new variable for null there were quite a few more curiosities in our code base, here two examples:
- During one testing session i noticed that the collecibles would just fly off into outer space if any physical forces acted upon them. Turns out that someone forgot to lock their rigidbodies apart from turning off gravity.
- You could basically kill everything with the katana just by touching it, no attack required. Interestingly all of the primitives that assemble the new katana visualization still had their colliders.
In this week I actually created the final madness slide and poster, had it printed and did the last preparations to our demo PCs (including filling one of them with coolant, because obviously it had to be a custom water-cooled machine) and testing them for stability so we could avoid hardware issues during the demo.
Now that we had the final game build, we also collected footage for our final gameplay video. Ironically enough, video publication would eventually be late because the PC used to cut the video ended up as the only VR-capable presentation machine at the demo day, and cutting and rendering out the video before was prevented by slow internet upload speeds. Once again we were hindered by the networking aspect of our game and had viable footage distributed across the PCs of several members - especially since only one member still had a VR headset at home - and had to wait for all the footage to be uploaded to a central collection first. Naturally, upload speeds of common home broadband connections mean that several gigabytes of footage take several hours to be ready.