Published December 14, 2017
Rudolf Mößbauer Tenure Track Assistant Professorships are intended for outstanding, high-potential early-career scientists who have already achieved a major scientific or technological breakthrough and who have the ambition to develop a new field of endeavor when joining TUM. The comprehensive TUM Faculty Tenure Track system, based on best international standards and transparent performance criteria, offers merit-based academic career options from the appointment as Assistant Professor through a permanent position as Associate Professor and on to Full Professor. Rudolf Mößbauer Professors will automatically become Fellows of the TUM Institute for Advanced Study (TUM-IAS).
Rudolf Mößbauer Professors are expected to develop independent and vigorous programs, including the acquisition of research funds and the societal positioning of their fields. Besides the development of their research, Rudolf Mößbauer Professors are expected to participate in TUM-IAS programs and organize activities in order to contribute to the intellectual life of the Institute and the university. Furthermore, candidates should be committed to excellence in undergraduate/graduate teaching and in supervising PhD students, although the emphasis of the Professorship will lie in the creative development of the proposed new field of science and/or technology.
After positive evaluation in the sixth year, the Rudolf Mößbauer Professor is tenured on an Associate Professor level. Tenure evaluation may be initiated after a minimum of three years only in exceptional cases, justified by extraordinarily outstanding achievements or particularly strategic significance in shaping the university’s profile.
The application period for the Rudolf Mößbauer Tenure Track Assistant Professorships is now open until February 08, 2018 (4:00 p.m. / 16:00 CET). TUM-IAS follows the TUM Faculty Tenure Track Entry Evaluation procedure (please see the document “TUM Faculty Recruitment and Career System”) to evaluate the quality of the proposals. Decisions will be mailed within nine months.
When applying for a Rudolf Mößbauer Tenure Track Assistant Professorship, eligibility criteria are:
- University degree and doctoral degree or comparable academic degree (PhD or equivalent).
- Two years of postdoctoral experience during which the applicant has achieved scientific independence.
- Strong scientific track record in the postdoctoral phase, and demonstration of pedagogical and personal aptitude.
- International research experience (usually evidenced by at least 1 year of academic experience abroad during doctorate and/ or postdoc phase).
- Teaching skills at university level and additional academic achievements.
- Ability to teach in English.
For your application please be prepared to provide the following required documents in PDF with a maximum size of 3 MB per document:
- Curriculum Vitae including certificates (PhD certificate), credentials, list of courses taught, and third-party funding.
- List of publications.
- 3 selected publication reprints.
- Short statement (max. 1,000 characters each) explaining the novelty impact of your three selected publications reprints.
- Statement of Purpose describing the research strategy, and Teaching Statement on teaching strategy and teaching philosophy.
One letter of recommendation, and the names and addresses of 3 references (the letter of recommendation must not be provided by one of the three persons you list as your references. The three references must be without conflict of interest*).Conflict of Interest
*As a rule, the following circumstances result in exclusion:
- First-degree relationships, marriage, life partnership, domestic partnership with the candidate.
- Personal (financial) interest in the proposal’s success or (financial) interest by persons listed under no. 1.
- Current (within the past three years) or planned close scientific cooperation with the candidate.
- Dependent supervisory relationship (e.g. teacher-student relationship up to and including the postdoctoral phase) with the candidate, extending six years beyond the conclusion of the relationship.
- The affiliation or pending transfer to the department or to the non-university research institute of the candidate.
- Any other situation that would compromise the referee's ability to evaluate the proposal impartially.
Please be aware that once you have started to upload files, you should continue until you submit your application. There is no possibility to save your application and continue in another session later on.
The application deadline has past. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any further question.
- Keine Stichwörter