Published September 8, 2021
Rudolf Mößbauer Tenure Track Assistant Professorships are intended for outstanding, high-potential early-career scientists who have already achieved a major scientific or technological breakthrough and who have the ambition to develop a new field of endeavor when joining TUM. The comprehensive TUM Faculty Tenure Track system, based on best international standards and transparent performance criteria, offers merit-based academic career options from the appointment as Assistant Professor through a permanent position as Associate Professor and on to Full Professor. Rudolf Mößbauer Professors will automatically become Fellows of the TUM Institute for Advanced Study (TUM-IAS).
Rudolf Mößbauer Professors are expected to develop independent and vigorous programs, including the acquisition of research funds and the societal positioning of their fields. Furthermore, candidates should be committed to excellence in undergraduate/graduate teaching and in supervising PhD candidates. Teaching assignments include courses in the subject area and the basic courses offered by the departments as well as courses for other academic TUM departments. Nevertheless the emphasis of the professorship lies on the creative development of the proposed new field of science and/or technology. Besides the development of their research, Rudolf Mößbauer Professors are expected to participate in TUM-IAS programs and organize activities in order to contribute to the intellectual life of the Institute and the university.
The initial appointment will be for 6 years. After positive evaluation in the final year, the candidate is tenured on an Associate Professor level (permanent position). In exceptional cases, the tenure evaluation may be initiated after a minimum of three years. Such cases will be justified by outstanding achievements and by contributions strategically shaping the university’s profile. The regulations according to the “TUM Faculty Recruitment and Career System” apply.
The application period for the Rudolf Mößbauer Tenure Track Assistant Professorships is now open
until October 20, 2021 (08:00 am CEST).
Applications are invited in the following research areas:
- Autonomous Vehicle Systems Engineering
- Energy for Sustainable Mobility Systems
- Physical and Chemical Foundation of Quantum Science and Technology
- Natural Product Chemistry
When applying for a Rudolf Mößbauer Tenure Track Assistant Professorship, eligibility criteria are:
- University degree and doctoral degree or equivalent scientific qualification
- Two years of postdoctoral experience during which the applicant has achieved scientific independence
- Strong track record during the postdoctoral phase and demonstration of pedagogical and personal aptitude
- International research experience (usually evidenced by at least 1 year of academic experience abroad during doctorate and/ or postdoc phase)
- Teaching skills at university level and additional academic achievements
For your application please be prepared to provide the following required documents (in English) in PDF with a maximum size of 3 MB per document:
- Cover page (The cover page is a template that you can download here: Cover Page.
Please download the template before you start filling in the application form - it is not possible to return to this page while filling in the application form without losing all the data you entered.)
- Curriculum Vitae including certificates (PhD certificate), credentials, list of courses taught, and third-party funding
- List of publications
- 3 selected publication reprints
Statement on the selected reprints (max. 1,000 characters regarding each reprint) explaining the novelty impact on your research profile
Statement of Purpose describing the research strategy (max. 10 pages), incl. Teaching Statement on teaching strategy and teaching philosophy (max. 2 pages)
One letter of recommendation and the names and addresses of 3 peer-reviewers (The letter of recommendation must not be provided by one of the three persons you list as your reviewers. The three reviewers must be without conflict of interest.*)
*As a rule, the following circumstances result in exclusion:
- First-degree relationships, marriage, life partnership, domestic partnership with the candidate.
- Personal (financial) interest in the proposal’s success or (financial) interest by persons listed under no. 1.
- Current (within the past three years) or planned close scientific cooperation with the candidate.
- Dependent supervisory relationship (e.g. teacher-student relationship up to and including the postdoctoral phase) with the candidate, extending six years beyond the conclusion of the relationship.
- The affiliation or pending transfer to the department or to the non-university research institute of the candidate.
- Any other situation that would compromise the referee's ability to evaluate the proposal impartially.
Application Form: https://wiki.tum.de/x/w4BHMw
Please be aware that once you have started to upload files, you should continue until you submit your application. There is no possibility to save your application and continue in another session later on.
Please contact email@example.com for any further questions.