Information Provided by TUM Global & Alumni Office'
On the page Coming to TUM of the TUM Global & Alumni Office you will find detailed information on stays at TUM. Please work through this information intensively. If you have any further questions, you can find the contact person for the topic 'International' on the wiki page Kontakte / Contacts - IE.
Additional information and notes'
Options for a stay at TUM as exchange students'
Exchange students from abroad can take between one and three exchange semesters or an internship (also for projects or thesis modules). The study area Engineering Science (Ingenieurwissenschaften) does not offer the possibility of taking a double degree.
Application for an exchange semester'
It is a prerequisite that your home university has an exchange agreement with the Technical University of Munich (TUM). Find out more on the wiki pages Partner Universities - IE and other TUM partner universities.
Before you can apply as an exchange student, you must be selected by your home university and nominated via the nomination system.
Then read the following TUM Global & Alumni Office pages to find about the application process and how to organize the program you wish to take: International exchange students.
- Winter semester: March 15 – May 15
- Summer semester: September 15 – October 31
Semester Dates, Examinations and Transcript of Records'
Since the German semester times are considerably shifted in international comparison, an early, exact planning of the stay abroad is very important:
Winter semester: 01 October to 31 March
Summer semester: 01 April to 30 September
The semester is divided into lecture time and lecture-free time. The examinations usually take place after the lecture period.
A Transcript of Records for the home university about successfully passed exams can be downloaded and printed after your stay in TUMonline. The Transcript of Records is valid without a signature.
Course selection for the Learning Agreement / Study Plan'
To study at TUM for one or two terms, you must compile a learning agreement or study plan. A minimum of 60 percent of courses should be from the TUM School of Engineering and Design. You can choose the other 40 percent of courses from the other TUM schools. Language courses do not count.
You can also get an overview of the course offerings via the homepage of the TUM School of Engineering and Design (ED). Please select the department of your interest at https://www.ed.tum.de/en/ed/about/departments/. Then click on the link in the upper right corner to get to the homepage of the department. Under "Professorships" of "About" you will find a list of all professorships / chairs belonging to the department. On the professorships page, you will usually find a listing and description of the courses offered by the professorship under the tab "Teaching".
Basically, all courses and seminars held at TUM are registered in the Campus Management System TUMonline. In TUMonline you can either search for modules or courses. A module may consist of several courses. You will find detailed information on the course, content, ECTS, recommended previous knowledge, language and cycle in the module manual and in the detailed view of the course.
When choosing your course, please make sure that you have the necessary professional qualifications. The courses actually taking place during the exchange semester are not fixed until 4 to 6 weeks before the beginning of the semester. Therefore, it is advisable to coordinate your learning agreement or study plan with the course offer at the start of the semester. If necessary, you can change your course choice after consulting your home university.
Languages courses at the Technical University of Munich'
The Language Centre at the TUM offers various language courses for incoming students to improve their German language skills. German courses are offered at different levels.
In addition, incoming students can choose from a variety of foreign language courses.
Registration is via TUMonline. Due to the high demand, timely registration is important!
In addition to going through the TUM application process, there are other matters to be considered such as a visa, insurance, language skills, certificates, accommodation etc.
You will find information on all formalities on the following page: Study stays at TUM.
Please also note the general information and in particular the information International Campus Life.
After your arrival in Munich, you should allow yourself at least a week to get organized before classes start.
For general inquiries international exchange students can contact the TUM Global & Alumni Office.
For specific questions on thn study area Engineering Science (Ingenieurwissenschaften), you can find the contact person 'International' on the wiki page Kontakte / Contacts - IE